Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?

I want to purchase a bike I can ride to the store, around the neighborhood, to the park's trails, the dirt trail near our house, etc. I want to start riding to get in shape. I live near the library, parks, friends houses, etc, and would like to start riding instead of driving. I dont know WHAT to look for in a bike, or how much Im looking to spend. Any features I should look for? Brands you recommend? Thanks!How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?If your dirt trails are fairly smooth it looks like you would be prime for a hybrid. There are several types some more like road (racing type) bikes others closer to mountain bikes. Still others close to a cruiser type. (like old fashioned single speed bikes) Some have an upright riding position, and still others require you to lean forward and down more.



If you want to ride dirt roads and trails get one that more like a mountain bike. It will have a little sturdier frame, fatter tires -far better on dirt and gravel. Most are muti-speed and I would recommend this. The tires should have some tread to give you traction in soft dirt and gravel but not too much as to make pavement riding rough.



It would do you well to visit a few bike shops to see all these different variations to get a feel of what is available. Ask questions see what the shops have to say. Explain what you want from the bike, this is a great way to zero in on what you really need.



I really can't say I prefer a brand as there really are many good bikes from large and small companies alike. This is how I would look for one.How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?
Anything but crap you find you find at Wal-Mart. First go to a bike shop and talk to the owner. All bikes are different and have different uses such as a Mountain Bike is not meant to be ridden on the road, but a road bike is not a mountain bike and never will be. All bikes are made of components such as Sram, Shimano, Suntour, or Compy. You can peel the paint off every frame and all you get is a metal frame with components. That's why go to bike shop and be measured(Wear your bike shorts) for correct fitting because all bikes are different.How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?Wow I came in late. You have a couple good answers already. My 2 cents is that I think you would like a hybrid bike. So when you go to those bike shops have them show you a few.
I ride a mountain bike with slick tires to run errands and ride on rough roads and gravel. I can also switch out the tires at any time and have a very worthy off road bike. Plus it fits me and I think it looks cool. (Im a geek) It has a rigid fork because for the money I could put better components on it without buying an expensive front shock. Rigid forks Are also better for riding on pavement where I spend most of my time with this bike. Unless you're in really wet conditions or plan to ride steep off road trails I wouldn't get disc brakes (they're more complicated, heavier, and more expensive) Regular V type brakes are really good stoppers. The bikes frame and wheels have the most impact on the feel and handling of the bike so if you're going to cut back don't do it there. Most importantly make sure the bike fits you properly. A cheap bike that fits correctly is more comfortable and fun to ride than an expensive one that doesn't fit. So go to a good shop and get fitted before you decide on what brand or model you want . They should take several measurement to ensure a good fit. Have fun. I love running errands on my bike, for some reason it makes them much more interesting.How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?Trek SU200



I wanted to get my girlfriend into cycling and on a bike I would consider owning while not shelling out a ton of money.



All my research lead to the Trek SU200 and I bought one.

It's a real nice bike for all occasions and looks slick to boot.



Give it a look.How to choose a bike for fitness purposes?
You have a couple good answers. I think something like a Trek 7200 would work for you. At least if you looked at one of those you would see about what you need. The biggest reason to stay away from the department store bikes is that they do not have people there to help get the bike that fits you and to adjust it correctly. Also they usually fall apart from not being assembled correctly.
Either a hybrid or a hard tail mountain bike with slick tires. Go to your local bike shop. Tell them where you want to ride and let them recommend AND SIZE a bike for you. Then, most important, test ride it. If you want fitness from riding a bike, you have to ride it a lot. You won't do that if the bike isn't comfortable because it doesn't fit you correctly.



HTHHow to choose a bike for fitness purposes?
I also seriously recommend considering a hybrid or cross, and I'd try to go as light weight as possible, while also getting a bike with a little wider tires.



The biggest problem (in my opinion) with either mountain or comfort bikes is they're just too heavy and clumsy for zipping around town. A lot harder to pedal so they're too tiring to ride any decent distance, or get any real speed out of. If you don't plan on riding more than 5 miles max., well, at least you'll get quite the workout during that 5 miles.



On a good road bike, once you get build up a good cadence, 20 miles no longer seems like much.



It sounds like you want something inbetween, and that's where a good cross or hybrid comes in. As other people here have pointed out, please go to a good bike store, let them know what you're looking for, so they can assist in deciding on your best options, and help you get fitted.



On the right bike, riding is sheer joy. On the wrong bike, pure pain. Everyone's different, and the only way you will be able to tell which one is right for you is to get on a number of them and try them out.



It's hard to actually recommend a bike for you without knowing more about your body type, shape, and many other factors. You see, I'm a petite little woman and using slightly wider Terry Treilis tires, can ride my road bike even on most dirt trails--but I still ride my old commuter bike for winter, shopping and running errands.



Treks are good bikes, but so are many the various other brands stocked by reputable bike shops. Just don't go to Walmart and buy a Huffy!

No comments:

Post a Comment